Email #6 (History Detectives)
Dear History Detectives,
I have an investigation that’s right up your ally with major national historic implications. I have a sword that I believe to be Hideki Tojo’s Seppuku Sword. I have strong evidence, but would like it confirmed.
The Sword comes to me be by way of a former C.I.C. Agent (now deceased) that was one of the agents that apprehended Tojo in his famous capture / suicide attempt.
Here are the facts:
• I can confirm he was one of the C.I.C. agents that apprehended Tojo. I have pictures in magazines that place him at the scene, and I’m waiting on military records.
• I have his honorable discharge, which lists his rank and confirms his C.I.C. status.
• The C.I.C. Agent wrote his wife (several times) about the incident and sword from Japan in 1945. I have the letters and notarized affidavits from his wife that they are genuine.
• I have notarized transcripts and recordings of the C.I.C Agent explaining how he got the sword.
• The sword itself fits the bill. It is several hundred years old, of amazing quality, and a portion of the handgard is solid gold (looks like about ½ oz). It is decorated with golden tigers, which, as I understand it, indicates a high ranking official.
• I also have about 2000 pages of text (e.g. letters) and pictures that are from his time in the war that I’ve yet to go through.
I have been aware of the sword’s existence for a great deal of time as I knew the C.I.C. Agent. However, I purchased it only last year at the Agent’s estate sale.
Please feel free to contact me via email XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX or phone at (XXX) XXX-XXXX (Day or early evening EST)
PS love the show!!